[Owncloud] Mounting local external storage outside document root

Christoph Jaehnigen nuabaranda at web.de
Sat Nov 10 08:57:27 UTC 2012

I'm having problems mounting external storage on the local filesystem with
OwnCloud 4.5. The environment is a Synology NAS 207+ running Apache 2.2.16
and PHP 5.3.3. I succeeded to mount folders which are below the document
root. I can sync them and access them via the web frontend.

But it's different for folders outside the document root. They are shown in
the web frontend but not opened after clicking them. Also the "Rename"
action is missing in difference to working mounts or folders. Syncing also
does not work. Content just does not appear in the syncing folder.

I also tried symlinking the folders into the webroot and could access them
via the webserver.  Mounting the symlinks in Owncloud lead to the same
effects described above.

The mounted folders have the webserver user and group set. This is the
Apache directory default config:

<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks Indexes
    AllowOverride All
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

Is there anything else I need check or configure?