[Owncloud] p() and print_unescaped(), documentation and general communication

Thomas Tanghus thomas at tanghus.net
Sat Nov 10 03:18:11 UTC 2012

OK, that was a very broad subject - just trying to not flood the ml with too
many posts.

Firstly I want to say that I'm sorry that I could participate in the
discussions in the recent developer meeting. If anybody wants to know why
please send me a mail, and I'll explain.

Secondly I want to say thanks to those who did participate and help bring
ownCloud forward. Those meetings have big importance in community- *and*
project building.

Sadly these close meetings can - and for me they have - also distance
developers if communication to the developers who didn't participate fails.

Great things have come out of it: I cannot praise the peer review process [1]
enough together with the Kanban board approach, and the decision to move the
developer documentation from Wordpress based to RsT is brilliant.

I'm aware of, and perfectly safe with, that some decisions has to made on
those meetings, but they really need to be properly communicated, and if there
can be questions about them, those should be made on this mailing list.

Some examples:

* p() vs. print_unescaped(). We already have an extra argument to the assign()
method which dictates if the assigned values should be escaped
https://github.com/owncloud/core/blob/master/lib/template.php#L327 Do these
methods obsolete that argument?

* Documentation moving to github: A very sane choice, but somewhere in the
decision process it was forgotten that we do make inline docs
http://owncloud.org/dev/contribute/ which are parsed and available at
api.owncloud.org. Free text documentation should be about how to use the API,
not to document the API itself, that should come from the the inline doc
strings. If they can't do it the inline docs are too poor.

What I'm trying to say is that a list as
http://owncloud.org/dev/meetings/berlin-october-2012/ should generate a
corresponding list of what was decided and why, to not let fringe developers
like I and I suppose others too as far as I can see, to just wonder and wait
for what happens. That being said I fully realize that some issues are not
just jotted down, and I really appreciate the elaborate posts that e.g. Jörn
and Thomas Müller has made.

[1] Although I still have a 3 week old PR I made before it was mandatory.
Don't be shy to say if it's a shite PR, I can take that ;)

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Thomas Tanghus