[Owncloud] Gitorious vs Github

Jan-Christoph Borchardt hey at jancborchardt.net
Tue May 29 23:57:47 UTC 2012

Against the risk of repeating myself, it is completely ridiculous for
us to host our own stuff. If it’s free software but not federated, we
create an island of user interaction where everyone has to get yet
another new account.
Another thing, Indefero has a really shitty interface. From their
website: »Indefero is basically a clone of GoogleCode« – seriously?

Even though I don’t think this is a question of »democratic« decision,
the majority is pretty clear from the Doodle Lennart opened a while
ago: http://www.doodle.com/gpqix9engytkyavq (as of writing: 12 Github,
5 Gitorious, 4 don’t know)

Make no mistake – we discussed this several times already and we are
all free software activists. We discussed it last time before the move
from KDE projects to Gitorious and we discuss it this time as well. I
get that this is an issue where lots of people have an opinion on the
color of the bike shed – but in this case especially the opinion of
the core developers has value, who need to work with the system
(namely Gitorious and Buggenie) and are reasonably pissed about load
times, SSH issues, downtimes and general usability nightmares. And
there are some simple factors like exposure and developer base which
are very important for driving the project forward.

So if in the meantime there popped up a nice _federated_ open source
git web app with integrated issue tracking and pull requests (which
can be linked) which we ideally don’t need to host ourselves – then
please speak up. Otherwise I would suggest we, as said before the
release of ownCloud 4, move to Github.