[Owncloud] Inter-ownCloud Sharing

Michael Gapczynski mtgap at owncloud.com
Mon May 28 14:09:33 UTC 2012

On Monday, May 28, 2012 06:37:57 PM Peter Chubb wrote:
> there are use cases where it's important for the admin to br able to control
> sharing, to prevent, say, corporate info lealing to unauthorised places.

Robin and I discussed the project yesterday and came to some conclusions.

The use case of sharing between two companies is extremely limited. The chance
of two companies that need to share files and both use ownCloud is very small.
The focus should be on sharing with individuals, in some syntax as Frank
discussed. Requiring admins to link ownClouds to allow inter sharing breaks
the workflow. Rather, as Peter points out, admins should be able to control
the instances that users can share to, if the admin decides that it needs to
be restricted. This can be implemented as a whitelist of ownCloud instances.

I still believe this project could be used to design an api for the desktop
and mobile clients to use. The end goal should still be to allow for inter
owncCloud sharing. This means that the authentication, action listening, and
sharing logic needs to be separated.

Michael