[Owncloud] Inter-ownCloud Sharing

Frank Karlitschek frank at owncloud.org
Mon May 28 08:13:51 UTC 2012

I agree with Jan,

user to user sharing, without the admin, is significantly cooler and more useful for users then requiring that the admin "connects" the servers.
It would be very very cool if we could implement it like this.

webfinger is a great way to discover other users. The problem is that it is not always available. It works only if you install ownCloud into the webserver root and some users might also consider it a security hole and switch it off.
So it would be great if the sharing system would also work without webfinger.
Just without autocompletion obviously.

I´m not sure if "frank at franksowncloud.org" is the best syntax for a user "frank" on owncloud "franksowncloud.org". Users will most likely confuse this with an email address.
Perhaps we should try to find a different syntax for that.

frank!franksowncloud.org/owncloudfolder  or
(frank)franksowncloud.org/owncloudfolder or
frank=franksowncloud.org/owncloudfolder  or
frank/franksowncloud.org/owncloudfolder  or
frank%franksowncloud.org/owncloudfolder

Frank