[Owncloud] Inter-ownCloud Sharing

Bartek Przybylski bart.p.pl at gmail.com
Sat May 26 17:50:45 UTC 2012

2012/5/26 Michael Gapczynski <mtgap at owncloud.com>:
> On Saturday, May 26, 2012 06:14:55 PM Deepak Mittal wrote:
>> On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 5:59 PM, Jan-Christoph Borchardt <
>>
>> hey at jancborchardt.net> wrote:
>> > I don’t know if it fits the scope of the proposal, but I think it’s
>> > important because we need to get inter-ownCloud sharing right. I
>> > highly disagree with this part: »Only admins can create sharing
>> > between two clouds. (This was decided after discussions with the
>> > mentor).« (– who is the mentor, I can’t find any info in the
>> > proposal).
>>
>> Bartek (aqu on freenode) and I discussed on this and he said giving so much
>> power to a user wouldn't be a good idea. Unfortunately, Bartek didn't get
>> selected as a mentor for this project. Right now Robin Appelman (Icewind)
>> is my mentor.
>>
>> > Inter-sharing should, at least from the user perspective outside a
>> > company setting, _not_ be the choice of the admin. Like with Diaspora
>> > and Email, you should just be able to put in frank at franksowncloud.org
>> > – then he gets a notification, and can either accept or reject the
>> > shared file.
>>
>> That was the exact original idea I had proposed.
>
> I agree this is it how it should be done. Bartek would you like to comment?

Decision of binding owncloud instances only by admins was made for
save resources and restrict access to information about instance.
Binding between instances should allow instances to exchange
information like userlist, groups etc.
Obviously accessing sharing only by single user should also by
available, but i dont remember did i point it out while proposal
review.

> I noticed in your proposal that this is focusing on files. Please note that
> I'm working on refactoring sharing to work with other app content.
>
> I'm starting to think that this project shouldn't be an app. I strongly
> believe this should be a REST API in the public namespace for apps to register
> specific actions with. We eventually need something so files can be shared,
> reverted to past versions, etc. from desktop and mobile clients. Apps other
> than just sharing should be able to talk between instances and have actions
> triggered by remote clients. Doing this separate from interc-ownCloud sharing
> will just be duplicating work.

Project beeing api instead of app, im not sure how that was mixed up.
file sharing app was suppose to be example of api usage