[Owncloud] Encryption

Anthony McCourin tony.mccourin at gmail.com
Thu May 24 13:46:17 UTC 2012

I have a few questions regarding server-side encryption (you can think of
these also as ideas for improvement)

1) when does server-side encryption happen?
2) what happens to unencrypted files when i enable it?
3) what happens to the encrypted files when i disable the encryption app?
4) what happens to the encrypted files if i change the password?
5) what happens when i try to download an encrypted file?
6) what happens when an anonymous user downloads encrypted file?
7) what happens if i download the encrypted file over SSH?
8) is it possible to decrypt it locally (i can see the .key file - will it
be enough to decrypt it? so getting the file is a matter of gaining access
to the data folder, downloading the file and bruteforcing the password
stored in sqlite db?)?
9) how do i know the file is encrypted?
10) will i get a visual feedback if some files in my account are encrypted
and some aren't?
11) can encryption be enabled on a per-account or even per-file basis?
12) can encrypted files be shared/reshared?
13) is there a way to re-encrypt files with a different key?
14) is it possible to have a custom key? (possibly server-side PGP?)
15) what happens when you sync encrypted files with ownCloud Sync?

Best regards,
Tony