[Owncloud] No OC4 in Debian 7.0/Wheezy

Frank Karlitschek frank at owncloud.org
Mon May 21 12:24:03 UTC 2012

On 21.05.2012, at 12:44, Klaas Freitag <freitag at owncloud.com> wrote:

> On 21.05.2012 01:32, Robin Appelman wrote:
>> On Monday 21 May 2012 00:41:33 Thomas Müller wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> today the "ownCloud for Debian"-Team decided not to upload the package for
>>> Debian 7.0/Wheezy.
>>>
>>> Most challenging part has most likely been to get all the copyrights and
>>> licensing sorted out.
>>>
>>> Finally we had too less testing time especially because of the necessary
>>> patches to install ownCloud according to the FHS. (We had the first
>>> installable package on May 19th - on May 20th we had the last chance for an
>>> upload to Debian 7. Tough ride!)
>>>
>>> Now that we have movable apps - it would help a lot have movable /config and
>>> /data. ;-) Can we have that as a feature for OC5?
>>
>> Moving /data is already possible by changing the "datadirectory" entry in to
>> config file, if you set the value in a default config file it should remember it
>> during the installation wizzard.
>>
>> Moving the config folder is a bit difucult since you would need to store the
>> location of the config in the config. The only way I can see having an easy to
>> change option in the code.
> The code should check if there is a config file in /etc/owncloud and if so use it, if not, get it from the usual place. This place is the place where configs should go if distributed properly and oC should support that, see [1] for details.
>
> That way packagers could include a proper preconfigured config.php in their packages.

Hmm,

that's a good point.
But what about the scenario that someone is installing and running ownCloud on a machine without having root access?
A admin provided config.php would always override a config.php in the owncloud directory. that is not good.

Or if you want to have several owncloud installations on the same machine? A normal user could run it from inside their normal homedirectory.
And even if I have root access then I´m not sure if I want to give the apache user write accesse to /etc/owncloud/config.php

I´m not sure what is the right way here.

Frank