[Owncloud] Encrypt.

Frank Karlitschek frank at owncloud.org
Sun May 20 14:35:33 UTC 2012

Hi Daniel,

the current encryption app is a very basic implementation of encryption using blowfish.
The files are encrypted with a personal key thats encrypted with the password of the user.

Which means that it is relatively secure but also has drawbacks. A problem is that the data is lost if you forget your password. There is no way, beside a brute force attack to get your data back. Another drawback is that this collides with sharing obviously.

There are plans to improve this system in the next ownCloud iteration. Could you send your ideas/plans for this? Perhaps we could iterate together and improve it.

Frank