[Owncloud] Discussion about how we should organize the issue tracker.

Stefan Eriksson stefan at eriksson.cn
Thu May 3 17:59:25 UTC 2012

Hi I feel we need to discuss how to organize all entries at http://bugs.owncloud.org/thebuggenie/, today we have an almost empty roadmap: http://bugs.owncloud.org/thebuggenie/owncloud/roadmap and a massive amount of uncategorized issues at the mainpage. It's very hard to follow and keep track of what to expect out of the next release.

Today there are two separate changelogs, one here: http://gitorious.org/owncloud/pages/OwnCloud4Features (http://gitorious.org/owncloud/pages/OwnCloud3Features) and the other http://bugs.owncloud.org/thebuggenie/owncloud/roadmap.

I see no point in having both of these. We should choose one or the other.

I vote for a scenario where http://bugs.owncloud.org/thebuggenie/ acts as a frontend for http://gitorious.org/owncloud. All issue tracking and reporting/scheduling is handled by http://bugs.owncloud.org/thebuggenie/

http://bugs.owncloud.org/thebuggenie/owncloud/roadmap has a ""Targetted for" entry and if all bugs and feature requests etc are maintained by the included "Targetted for ownCloud * Release" it will be a great tool for scheduling which features/bugs will be expected to be added/fixed for the upcoming milestones/releases.

For this to function though I feel there has to be some moderation, a few people who can categorize these issues into milestones, first when a merge request is well on its way it would be categorized (there probably has to be a "in the future" milestone aswell) into one of the release milestones.

Also bugfixes should be categorized depending on how much work it would take to implement plus how critical it is to fix.

I dont think its a good idea to have the person reporting a bug (as long as its not him/her fixing it themselves) to set the "Targetted for" tag as they probably dont know the answer to the above. (how much work it would take to implement plus how critical it is to fix.) this is why I feel there has to be some kind of moderation.

I feel the default option for targeted release should be "in the future" and at this time a moderator would look at the issue and either keep it at the default milestone or move it to a more appropiate.

How does everyone think about organizing the issue tracker, to get a better overview of it all? this is just a mail to get the ball running please discuss :)

/Stefan