[Owncloud] Issue with accessing Dropbox API

Michael Gapczynski mtgap at owncloud.com
Wed Mar 28 02:48:42 UTC 2012

I've been looking into using Dropbox's API to use Dropbox as a storage backend
for ownCloud. Unfortunately, Dropbox's API setup requires an app key to access
the API. The app key is tied to a developer account on Dropbox and to receive
production status the app needs to be reviewed by Dropbox. I don't believe
it's a good option to have a single account for ownCloud, because an unknown
user could abuse Dropbox's terms and conditions with the storage backend.
There may also be access limits that I'm unaware of. Forcing sys admins to
apply for their own app key seems to be a bad option as well. More info can be
found at: https://www.dropbox.com/developers/start/core

Does anyone have experience with Dropbox's process for production status or
ideas on how to implement this?

Michael