[Owncloud] urlrouting

Thomas Wanderer newsabos at nurfuerspam.de
Wed Mar 14 22:22:31 UTC 2012

Am 14.03.2012 20:17, schrieb Roland van Laar:
> First, for now it doesn't work when rewriting isn't enabled. (I didn't
> make a merge request because it's not merge ready).

First of all: I also really like your proposal. I think having a proper
dispatcher is not all but adds a lot to the user experience and how OC
looks in design matters. Having a bunch of *.php urls looks messy in my
opinion ...but true: It is not a must - on the other hand I would start
accounting these things (proper API, proper interfaces) now and not in
too far future!

> And secondly, owncloud shouldn't work when rewrites and/or .htaccess
> files (or equivalent) aren't possible.
> See my earlier mails about security[1][2] and klaas' response [3]
> and my merge-request[4] which aims to fix this for .htaccess files and
> Apache.

I see the problem, but then one would need a clever fallback strategy or
implement this currently only as an alternative

>> I don´t really see the benefit for ownCloud here. ownCloud is a
>> personal space for files and data and not a public website. So we
>> don´t need to care about SEO urls or Google or how convenient it is to
>> remember, tweet or mail urls. I agree that shorter urls without .php
>> are prettier from an esthetics standpoint but this benefit is not
>> strong enough to justify to make ownCloud incompatible with a lot of
>> our users.

A good point. Keeping compatibility is definitely more worth!

> It also opens up a lot of possibilities for owncloud code wise because
> files and urls aren't linked 1 on 1.

What about a fallback method in your script? Catch a 404 exeption and
try to reroute to the actual php files if the rewriting doesn't work?