[Owncloud] LDAP Plugin: Looking for beta tester // Active Directory improvement

Yoann Gini yoann.gini at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 16:38:24 UTC 2012

Hi folks,

I’ve updated my beta plugin for LDAP backend. Now it’s supposed to work with Active Directory and it’s always compatible with common LDAP.

I’ve test this code with Active Directory on 2k8 R2 Server and Open Directory on OS X Server Snow Leopard. I hope it’s will work with you.

The main difference between AD and OD are about the group membership management. AD use DN to identify user as a member and OD use only the shortname. I’ve updated my app with a special settings for AD to use DN when it’s needed.

I would like to have your opinion about this point. To get the DN when ownCloud give me only the shortname I first make a search for the user, I keep the DN then I make a second LDAP request to check membership…

I’m wondering if it can be useful to remove the ability to choice DN or not by a input field. The administrator must specify to with user field the member attribute is linked. That could make the code compatible with all kind of setup (especially case where UUID are used). But by doing that we are forced to make two ldap request for one membership checkup…

Best regards,
Yoann Gini