[Owncloud] ownCloud API

Evert Pot evert at rooftopsolutions.nl
Fri Jun 29 14:03:44 UTC 2012

On Jun 29, 2012, at 3:53 PM, Michael Gapczynski wrote:

> Well I'm satisfied with that, I'll start writing up some stuff for a cloud
> module.

I had a look at the OCS specs, and I don't feel it's very restful. It's missing the important HATEOAS bit.
Database id's shouldn't really exposed by the service, all 'ids' should be urls, and all urls should be discoverable.

It's also not defining a xml namespace, which to me would be a bit of a red flag.
It's also not using content negotiation to request a format, but a format=json parameter.

Now, OCS may well be suitable for your needs, but I would certainly not call it REST. It just uses the correct HTTP methods, but that's not quite enough.

Some links:

http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/dissertation/rest_arch_style.htm
http://timelessrepo.com/haters-gonna-hateoas
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HATEOAS