[Owncloud] ownCloud API

Evert Pot evert at rooftopsolutions.nl
Thu Jun 28 15:29:09 UTC 2012

On Jun 28, 2012, at 5:17 PM, Michael Gapczynski wrote:

> There is no standard for a RESTful web API, but this does meet the general
> expectations. Not all REST APIs that I've encountered require you to
> communicate using XML, but some just use POST parameters. I think POST
> parameters are always easier than generating XML. Then again, I'm not quite
> sure what an 'exported' API is.

If you use POST parameters for any other purpose than creating new objects, you cannot really call it a RESTful web api :)
XML is certainly also not a requirement, but you should send over the entire entity you're replacing with PUT, or the entire entity you're creating with POST.

Developing a true REST api is definitely something you should look at though. It's more up-front work, but it forces you to design the API really well, which may result a much higher longevity.

Evert