[Owncloud] Setting up owncloud with PostgreSQL

Michael Gapczynski mtgap at owncloud.com
Thu Jun 28 00:43:51 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, June 27, 2012 12:57:41 PM Saint Germain wrote:
> On 27 June 2012 10:58, Denis Kot <denis.kot at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2012/6/27 Saint Germain <saintger at gmail.com>:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Using Debian Squeeze with owncloud 4.0.3, I am unable to set it up with
> >> PostgreSQL 9.1.
> >> Whatever the user/password/dbname I put on the set up page, I got this
> >> error message:
> >> can not connect to database, using pgsql. (SQLSTATE[08006] [7]
> >> fe_sendauth: no password supplied)
> >>
> >> I have created a user owncloud and a owncloud database and I have
> >> manually confirmed with psql that I can connect to it.
> >>
> >> I don't understand what is the problem (permission ?) and I don't have
> >> any other error logs except the above message.
> >>
> >> I would really appreciate if someone can give me a hint on how to debug
> >> this ?
> >> Even a more meaningful error message could help.
> >
> > As far as I know PostgreSQL is not fully supported now. I had many
> > problems with PostgeSQL and moved to MySQL. So even you resolve your
> > current issue you'll have many problems in future.

PostgreSQL is supported by ownCloud through MDB2.

> It seems that Mr Koeb has more or less managed to install it and use it:
> http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/owncloud/2011-December/001903.html
>
> Mr Koeb can you confirm that you have managed to use owncloud with
> PostgreSQL ? Otherwise as I'm new with owncloud I won't insist with
> PostgreSQL
>
> Thanks !

I've started investigating installing with PostgreSQL and I found a few
problems. Despite the errors I was able to get ownCloud installed successfully
using PostgreSQL with no additional changes.

I haven't encountered the error you posted however. Are you using a superuser?
I'm not sure if that is required. I believe you saw that error on the page
because the errors weren't being returned when trying to connect. I fixed that
in the master and stable4 branches.

Michael