[Owncloud] ownCloud API

Frank Karlitschek frank at owncloud.org
Tue Jun 26 20:56:38 UTC 2012

On 26.06.2012, at 22:17, Tom Needham <tom at owncloud.com> wrote:

> On 26 Jun 2012, at 21:15, Bart Visscher wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 04:17:37PM +0100, Tom Needham wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes I'd say api.php would be most logical and least confusing.
>>
>> What is confusing about remote.php/api
> What I meant to say is that a separate api would be most logical and least confusing, instead of trying to extend the OCS api. Yes this could easily be remote.php/api.
>>
>> Bart

I´m biased here of course. ;-)

But I think we should create a new module for our API as part of the OCS standard. This has some benefits because OCS is already an accepted freedesktop.org standard and implemented by a lot of other software. It is designed in a modular way so that we can easily create a new "cloud" module for our stuff but we still benefit from the existing concepts like provider abstraction, authentication and others.

ownCloud is already an OCS client and an OCS server so it would be a logical step to follow this concept.

Frank