[Owncloud] help needed with encryption and corruped files

Michael Gapczynski mtgap at owncloud.com
Wed Jun 13 01:45:16 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, June 12, 2012 12:52:06 PM Klaas Freitag wrote:
> On 04.06.2012 18:33, Klaas Freitag wrote:
> > On 04.06.2012 18:13, Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> we have a very evil bug report about corrupted files together with the
> >> encryption app.
> >>
> >> http://bugs.owncloud.org/thebuggenie/owncloud/issues/oc-912
> >> http://forum.owncloud.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2726
> >>
> >> Everything works for me and I canĀ“t find the problem
> >> Can someone help me with reproducing it?
> >
> > I can reproduce it with a Firefox on Linux and on Windows 7. I have
> > master running from this morning.
>
> Frank, do you think that
> http://bugs.owncloud.org/thebuggenie/owncloud/issues/oc-669
> can be related to this problem? Is there a fix already for #912?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Klaas

It seems that binary data has problems going through the encryption. I did
some research and read that base64_encode()/decode() should allow binary files
to be encrypted. My attempts to encode and decode the data with base64 still
result in corrupted binary files.

http://bytes.com/topic/php/answers/8958-binary-encryption

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6033972/encrypting-files-with-php-mcrypt-
is-corrupting-docx-and-other-microsoft-office

http://www.itnewb.com/tutorial/PHP-Encryption-Decryption-Using-the-MCrypt-
Library-libmcrypt

Michael