[Owncloud] redundant data in oc db

Klaas Freitag freitag at owncloud.com
Mon Jun 11 12:21:17 UTC 2012

On 11.06.2012 14:12, Bartek Przybylski wrote:
> Hi!
> Right now we have a FSCache feature which is great, but we can use it
> even better to avoid data redundancy.
> For instance media app holds mp3 data in DB but its also holds path to
> file which is the same as in fscache
> at this point data synchronization is needed which cause troubles and
> increase amount of resources needed (not drastically but always).
> Same thing is with gallery it holds metadata for thumbnail so it can
> speedup previews, and also path to file which is redundant.
I agree.

> I would like to propose expand of fscache db by 2 or 3 additional, one
> of type text and one of type blob so it can store simple and binary
> data.
> For instance media app could hold mp3 tags in additional blob,
> pictures could hold images metadata there, and ebook app could hold
> tags in there too.
Oh, please don't do that. The downsides are: The fscache needs to be
fast and additional columns dont help with that. Moreover, the new gaps
would not have a specific meaning but a meaning depending on who wrote
into it. Thats not good.

> That way less data duplication will occur and synchronization problem
> will also be avoided.
Yes, thats what relations are for: Keep the specific tables and use the
id of table fscache as foreign key.

regards,

Klaas