[Owncloud] Authenticating users

Simon Brereton simon.buongiorno at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 19:40:24 UTC 2012

On 6 June 2012 10:44, Simon Brereton <simon.buongiorno at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6 June 2012 04:34, Bart Visscher <bartv at thisnet.nl> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 02:35:52PM -0400, Simon Brereton wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I was expecting slightly more from the installation and config so as
>>> it is, I now have an owncloud instance but it's not in any way
>>> integrated with my other services.
>>>
>>> For example, I would like to use the existing usernames/passwords from
>>> the mail system (since that will control which users even have the
>>> ability to use owncloud).  How is that possible?  I wasn't able to
>>> find documentation on it.  (Note, Owncloud should continue to use its
>>> own DB for everything else, only authentication should be handed off
>>> to another DB or IMAP/webmail).
>>
>> There is a 3rd party app user_imap that authenticate against a imap
>> server.
>
> Thanks Bart.  I have another suggestion - it might do to link
> http://apps.owncloud.com on the site or at least in the apps section
> of the admin console.  I didn't know 3rd-party apps were available or
> how to find them until I found that link at the bottom of the page on
> how to write my own app!
>

> Secondly, there's no install instructions.  By viewing the page I
> downloaded a zip file, but that leaves me with two problems.  I have
> to move the zip to the server and b) I have no idea where to unzip it
> (I assume in the app folder, but I can't find definitive
> instructions).

Sorry to keep on about this - but I googled and I still find no clear
instructions on how to install a zip file and I'm reluctant to try
(just unzipping in the apps directory) on a production system.  I
realise Owncloud is still a young project, but Joomla makes this
really easy.  As safe as that approach sounds, I saw recently a thread
about different installation directory and so without a little more
information I'm not willing to play around (especially since it's an
auth module and installing it wrongly could pose a security risk).

Any advice?

Thanks.

Simon