[Owncloud] Salt

Frank Karlitschek frank at owncloud.org
Fri Jun 8 08:30:54 UTC 2012

Hi Andreas,

thanks for the hint. Waiting for your patch ;-)

The challenge is that we can´t implement it as usual and put a salt into the code. This would be useless because the code is open source.

So the salt has to be different for every installation. We could generate a random salt during installation and store it in the config file. The admin has to understand that the user database can´t be migrated to a different host without the config.php entry. This is not a protection if the server is completely cracked as the one from linkedin was because the salt is stored in cleartext on server.
Obviously this only help if someone used the internal ownCloud usermanagement and has no effect if LDAP or any other user backend is used.

Suggestions?

Frank