[Owncloud] idea : Notification system

Florian Hülsmann fh at cbix.de
Mon Jun 4 13:01:15 UTC 2012

I recently started implementing such a system trying to design it
similar to the search app. Development is done in the user_notifications
branch. Currently a mail symbol is displayed in the upper right corner
with a random number, simply for testing the design. My plan was to let
apps call this:

OC_Notify::sendUserNotification("files_sharing", "username", "{name}
shared the file {filename} with you!", array("name" => "user2",
"filename" => "document.txt"));

...and alternatively the function sendGroupNotification(). I didn't
implement the OC_Notify class yet but already made a db table draft in
db_structure.xml. One explanation: the placeholder stuff in my example
above is necessary for making notifications translatable. The OC_Notify
class can then simply translate the string including placeholders and
then replace them with the given values, if any.

Let's hope to get this finished until OC 5 :)

Florian

Am 04.06.2012 14:45, schrieb Bartek Przybylski:
> Such idea was here for a while now, to be honest i have some basic
> design about protocol for desktops/mobiles clients and it should be
> quiet easy to implement on server side.
>
> 2012/6/4 Lord Awikatchikaen<lord.awikatchikaen at gmail.com>:
>> Hi all,
>>

>> It would be nice if apps can send notification to the user. These
>> notifications should be displayed on the web interface, but most important
>> on systems where owncloud clients are installed (android, linux, win....).
>> With that, users are immediately inform of modifications of their datas.
>> Right now, few apps could have interest in this system (calendar, files
>> which are in multi-user interaction with sharing) but it could be useful for
>> the thousands apps coming.
>>
>> And more, it could be an open system : external apps could use owncloud to
>> send notification via an API. For example, my xbmc sends notification to my
>> cloud for each new film added on my TV and I receive that on my android
>> phone. I could also receive message from rsyslog or apache. For now all the
>> system (notify my android and other) doing this are centralized, owncloud
>> could be a concurrent !!
>>
>> Awikatchikaen.

Florian Hülsmann
<fh at cbix.de>