[Owncloud] Syncing and Time Synchronization

peter at chubb.wattle.id.au peter at chubb.wattle.id.au
Wed Jul 18 10:54:33 UTC 2012

>>>>> "Klaas" == Klaas Freitag <freitag at owncloud.com> writes:

Klaas> Hi, as you know our current syncing requires that both machines
Klaas> (client and ownCloud server) operate on exactly the same time
Klaas> because we use the file modification time to decide which file
Klaas> to sync where.

Klaas> Unfortunately for a couple of reasons we can not keep up the
Klaas> requirement of synced times any more, even if it might make
Klaas> sense.

Klaas> I investigated the last couple of days what we can do. If times
Klaas> between server and client just had a constant difference, it
Klaas> were doable, but thats not the case. Time difference is
Klaas> variable in real world and that means we can't use the mtime to
Klaas> decide any more.

I suggest taking a look at rsync.  It uses size, name and mtime as a
rough check, then uses md5 in chunks to transfer just changed parts

Peter C