[Owncloud] ownCloud Plasma client

Klaas Freitag freitag at owncloud.com
Thu Jul 12 11:31:15 UTC 2012

On 11.07.2012 20:11, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> hi all,
>
> During Akademy, we had a BoF session to improve KDE integration with ownCloud.
> One of the things we came up with is a new architecture for the client. The
> reasons for that is that we want to move things out of the system tray, we
> want to make the client touch-friendly (so it can also be used on devices
> running Plasma Active).
>
> The new architecture will be three-tiered:
>
> - a daemon taking care of synching and all the hard work
Hmm, as said I am not going completely yet for the daemon idea yet
because of cross platform things. But that does not conflict as the
owncloud client simply links the lib as the DBUS wrapper does.

> - a plasmoid to show status and do basic interaction
> - a configuration module that plugs into the system's settings UI
Cool for the ownCloud account, for configuring sync folders I am not so
sure.

> A photo taken after the BoF illustrates this:
> - http://vizzzion.org/stuff/kde/akademy2012-owncloud-bof.jpg
>
> I've started hacking on the latter two, with some good progress so far.
> There's a basic Plasmoid and active settings module. The data shown is fake so
> far, next up on my list is the daemon and the dbus interface between those
> two. The nice thing is that by using Plasma packages, we can share most of the
> code between settings module and plasmoid (they load the same C++ objects to
> interact with OC, and the QML bits are also shared).
>
> Next on the list:
>
> - daemon, to use Klaas work on the split out lib
Done, see branch mirall-kde on gitorious.org/mirall

> Comments, critique and praise most welcome =)
Cool stuff :-)

Klaas