[Owncloud] ownCloud Plasma client

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Jul 11 18:11:33 UTC 2012

hi all,

During Akademy, we had a BoF session to improve KDE integration with ownCloud.
One of the things we came up with is a new architecture for the client. The
reasons for that is that we want to move things out of the system tray, we
want to make the client touch-friendly (so it can also be used on devices
running Plasma Active).

The new architecture will be three-tiered:

- a daemon taking care of synching and all the hard work
- a plasmoid to show status and do basic interaction
- a configuration module that plugs into the system's settings UI

A photo taken after the BoF illustrates this:
- http://vizzzion.org/stuff/kde/akademy2012-owncloud-bof.jpg

I've started hacking on the latter two, with some good progress so far.
There's a basic Plasmoid and active settings module. The data shown is fake so
far, next up on my list is the daemon and the dbus interface between those
two. The nice thing is that by using Plasma packages, we can share most of the
code between settings module and plasmoid (they load the same C++ objects to
interact with OC, and the QML bits are also shared).

Next on the list:

- daemon, to use Klaas work on the split out lib
- dbus interface between the parts

The current code can be found at
- http://vizzzion.org/stuff/kde/owncloud-plasma-alpha1.diff

You can see the current status in the following two screenshots:
- http://vizzzion.org/stuff/kde/owncloud-plasmoid-alpha1.png
- http://vizzzion.org/stuff/kde/owncloud-settings-alpha1.png

Comments, critique and praise most welcome =)

Cheers,
--
sebas