[Owncloud] Fwd: Re: Client Work Methodology - Server Participation?

Thomas Müller thomas.mueller at tmit.eu
Fri Jul 6 12:07:40 UTC 2012

... and to the ml as well ;-)

--- Original Nachricht ---
Betreff: Re: [Owncloud] Client Work Methodology - Server Participation?
Von: Thomas Müller <thomas.mueller at tmit.eu>
An: "Bjoern Schiessle" <schiessle at owncloud.com>
Datum: 06.07.2012 14:07

Am Freitag, dem 06.07.2012 um 13:55 schrieb Bjoern Schiessle:
> On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 11:50:59 +0200 Klaas Freitag wrote:
> > - Introduce a server notification to the client if something changes
> > so that regular checks can go away.

But we need to make sure that no client specific data will be store in the server like a
queue of changeset for each client.

This will have a bad impact on scalability and the various scenarios will just
over-complicate the server implementation.

E.g. ActiveSync uses this approach and there is only one free implementation of a
server (z-push).

The client need to take care himself about his state and the server can support him
by e.g. sending aggregated data.

> This sounds interesting and would enable a application for the sync
> client I already thought about for a while.
>
> But I'm curious about your plans for the implementation, especially if
> the client is behind a firewall.

Because all communication should be based on http(s) simple proxy support will
be enough to get around the firewall.

In general proxy support has been requested many times - which I started in April.
I "just" need to implement proxy support for libneon.

Tom aka DeepDiver