[Owncloud] regarding quality

Sam Tuke samtuke at owncloud.com
Tue Jul 3 12:09:25 UTC 2012

On Saturday 30 Jun 2012 22:52:48 eMerzh wrote:
> May be the automatic test (with a good coverage!) may help us here..
> but we have a loooong job to make everything testable :/

Exactly.

ownCloud development is moving extremely fast - developing at this speed
without unit tests understandably results in many bugs.

There are currently very few unit tests and very few people writing unit tests
because it is currently so difficult to write them. We should aim for all devs
to be writing unit tests by default, because its easy, and because it makes
their development process more efficient.

To achieve this we need better documentation (both manual in inline), and
refactoring to reduce the prevalence of close coupling and singleton objects.
Currently these make writing unit tests painful.

Refactoring isn't glamorous, but it will make OC simpler to work with, more
testable, and easier to contribute to.

Whilst we're on the subject, can I ask why we're using simpletest rather than
PHPUnit?

Best,

Sam.