[Owncloud] Setting up owncloud with PostgreSQL (SOLVED)

Saint Germain saintger at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 22:33:17 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 11:53:57 +0200, eMerzh <merzhin at gmail.com> wrote :

> Hi,
>
> Could you try this patch ? https://gist.github.com/3032386
>
> You can also try to add just before the pg_connect() a line with
>
> die($connection_string);
>
> and see if the passord is correctly set and given to postgres.

Success !
Is it because I was using a password with spaces inside ?
Must be the only one reading xkcd then (http://xkcd.com/936/) ;-)

Using a default install of PostgreSQL 9.1, the user has to be created as a superuser and with database creation permission (no need to create role):
createuser -d -R -s -P username

Interesting point is that last time Michael Gapczynski modified the master branch, I got nice error message inside owncloud.
Now ugly error messages are back on a blank page.

Here are some examples:
1)
createuser -d -R -S -P owncloud
password is "toto titi tata".

can not connect to database, using pgsql. (SQLSTATE[08006] [7] missing "=" after "titi" in connection info string)

2)
createuser -d -r -S -P username
DB Error: "ERROR: must be a member of role « oc_saintgermain »"
Offending command was: CREATE DATABASE "owncloud" OWNER "oc_saintgermain"
can not connect to database, using pgsql. (SQLSTATE[08006] [7] FATAL:
database << owncloud >> doesn't exist)

Anyway thanks for the patch !
May be a good idea to secure/sanitize the username/password string. It seems that we can do some nasty things just by using a strange username or password here...

Best regards,