[Owncloud] Group backend question

Dirk Kastens dirk.kastens at uni-osnabrueck.de
Tue Jan 31 15:27:46 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'm trying to write an ldap backend for group management. I'm using ldap
for authentication and I like to use our ldap posixgroups for group
memberships of the users.

But I've seen that the group module is not prepared for external
backends, like the user module is. The user module can use different
backends, and a backend doesn't have to have implemented all user
functions, like createUser or deleteUser. This should be possible with
the group module, too. As far as I can see, you can only have a single
group backend, and if you change the backend, the admin user is missing
his admin group, for example.

I've started to rewrite the group module according to the implementation
of the user module. But there are too many dependencies. Are you
planning to rewrite the group management - or am I missing something and
it's easy to write an ldap backend for groups?

Dirk