[Owncloud] Dependencies for Apps

Robin Appelman icewind at owncloud.com
Fri Jan 27 13:48:50 UTC 2012

On Friday 27 January 2012 13:16:47 Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> On 27.01.2012, at 12:37, Klaas Freitag wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > when I updated my existing oC to oC 3 some time ago, I had the problem
> > that dependencies for the gallery apps (gd and exif AFAIR) were not
> > installed and as a result the gallery didn't work.
> >
> > We do have a dependency tracking on initial install, but how do we handle
> > deps for apps, especially if they come from the app-store?
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > Klaas
>
> Very good question.
> I don´t think we have a good answer here yet.
>
> I general it´s a bad idea to rely on non default php modules. Apps should
> always provide a fall back if possible. Or just show a human readable
> warning if a required third party module or command line tool is not there.
>
> Cheers
> Frank

There is a dependency overview under Settings->Admin but I'm not sure how
complete it is, my idea for to future is to give all apps an
appinfo/depend.php (or something simular) where they check and return the
status of their dependencies.

Also, exif is no longer a hard dependency but optional.

 - Robin Appelman