[Owncloud] thumbnails in gallery app

Software at quantentunnel.de Software at quantentunnel.de
Sat Jan 14 12:42:03 UTC 2012

Hi

Thumbnails in the gallery app are very slow to appear, as also listed on the bug tracker. There is also an issue with images that are recognized by their mime types, but not handled by the thumbnail creator routines (e.g., bmp are not handled). I looked into the code, hoping that I find a way to improve.

What struck me: the code to create thumbnails for folder display (i.e., 10 thumbnails next to each other) is duplicated in apps/gallery/lib/images_utils.php and apps/gallery/ajax/getCovers.php

images_utils.php is called when rescanning and creates pre-rendered thumbnails as data/username/gallery/*.png (which makes sense as rendering takes a long time).
getCovers.php is called when folders are shown on the client's webpage; the code does not seem to use the pre-rendered thumbnails but creates new thumbnails each time.

Can somebody explain me the reasoning behind this design?

Best

Al_