[Owncloud] Mounting External Storage

Michael Gapczynski mtgap at owncloud.com
Tue Feb 21 19:12:02 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, February 21, 2012 12:10:42 PM Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> On 21.02.2012, at 10:16, Arthur Schiwon <blizzz at owncloud.com> wrote:

> >> Thats right, unexperienced  users which we also like to see in ownCloud
> >> often do not understand the directory concept, especially not if they
> >> did not create the directory nor understand their name: One will
> >> understand a "Letters to Tina" folder way better than a suddenly
> >> appearing "FTP" directory.
> >
> > Agree
>
> Sure. But keep in mind that not everybody is using the webinterface. If a
> user using WebDAV, the Mobile Client or the Desktop Syncing Client the user
> has no idea where a file comes from or where it is physically stored. There
> is also no obvious way to move it around between different locations. If I
> mount my work ownCloud into my private ownCloud I would prefer to have this
> clearly separated and not mixed together. But perhaps thats only me :-)
>
> >> Most users today have search centric behaviour, driven by google. Google
> >> does not have directories, you just searhch and find. Even if we store
> >> data in dirs and mount into directories (which we need for tech reasons
> >> I think) maybe we should think more in the direction of creating various
> >> views on the files structure. For example, an alternative to the current
> >> file-page of ownCloud could be a page with just a search field. If one
> >> enters "Tina" all files from the "Letters to Tina" dir are presented.
> >
> > I like this idea. In the end, wouldn't we follow the ideas of Nepomuk in a
> > certain way?
>
> Absolutely. Thats definitely the goal but we probably need a few more month
> for that :-)
> >>
> >> Yes, tags are one of the search criteria often used.

> >> Yes, and one which is technically hard to tackle but one that really can
> >> make ownCloud even more exciting.
> >>
> >> Klaas
>
> Frank Karlitschek
> karlitschek at kde.org

I like the concept of Nepomuk and I've started to use it more often on my
ownnd desktop. I don't think we should follow the ideas, but rather try to
work with Nepomuk in the future.

WebDAV of course does get in the way with these ideas, but it already presents
an issue with sharing, which is limited to the web interface. I don't think
we're stuck though because there is the possibility to add service menus to
many file managers; Dropbox already does this for Windows, Mac, and Linux. I
think that something like this could be bundled with the sync client.

I'll start off with just mounting at a folder.

Michael