[Owncloud] modularization

Klaas Freitag freitag at owncloud.com
Tue Feb 21 08:46:01 UTC 2012

On 20.02.2012 21:58, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> On 20 February 2012 21:56, Thomas Wanderer<newsabos at nurfuerspam.de>  wrote:
Hi,

you come up with really interesting thoughts here, but for me thats
still to unspecific to really understand.

>> So you're suggesting a kind of REST whatever interface? This would be
>> defenetely nice but I think the API mentioned here should be an set of PHP
>> interfaces which are stable and can be used by app programmers...or?
>
> Both are possible.
I think we have three interface levels we have to consider here:
1) the interface between ownCloud core to applications
2) the interface between apps and the world
3) the interface between different apps, as they will depend on each other

For which of the level are you suggesting REST architecture? I agree
that for 2) REST is often the right choice, even if it depends on the
data a bit.

For 1) it might be more difficult, I have experience with another big
system I helped to design where we went the REST for internal interfaces
way. Over the time we had to make excuses to the paradigm more and more.

3) will often be the same as 2) probably.

> But for maximum scalability there should be helper
> methods to find the data sources, for example, without having to use
> firebug.  Doesnt need to be done right away, but long term this is a really
> great way to scale.
Can you give a concrete example on base of what ownCloud provides nowadays?

Thanks,

Klaas