[Owncloud] SFTP to a user's ownCloud files?

Jon Spriggs jon at sprig.gs
Tue Feb 21 06:39:26 UTC 2012

FTPS is easy when your device is directly connected to the internet with no
firewall (or a very open firewall) in front of it.

As soon as you have a restrictive (otherwise known as being "secure" :) )
firewall in front of it, you have to open both the control port (TCP/21)
and "high ports" TCP/1024-65535, because, as the control channel is
encrypted, the firewall can't inspect the instructions from the FTP server
to identify which ports to use (which is conventional FTP works through
firewalls).

Also, even if you get FTPS to your device, you still need to hook the file
system part up to the webdav part, as there is extra metadata that the
webdav channel provides that just isn't there at a file system level.

Sorry it's not more positive, and I really hope someone comes forwards to
dispute some/all of what I've just said!

Regards,
--
Jon "The Nice Guy" Spriggs