[Owncloud] Mounting External Storage

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 22:18:51 UTC 2012

On 20 February 2012 23:05, Michael Gapczynski <mtgap at owncloud.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > > recommend to sys admins to mount natively and provide a fallback to a
> PHP
> > > backend if this isn't possible.
> >
> > Yes. Protocols that are better supported by the OS should be handled by
> the OS.
> > We could still try to do a mount command and see what happens :-)
> >

> > > The other thing I need feedback on is deciding if normal users can
> mount
> > > external storage. I see the need for enabling users to link ownCloud to
> > > services such as Dropbox, and Google Docs (Google Drive),
> i think mounting gdocs, dropbox etc. we should use mounting them as
> unhosted/remote storage so unhosted and owncloud won't solve the proxy
> problem in two projects.
> but I'm not sure if
> > > FTP and SMB should fit in with these. I'm also debating what is the
> best way
> > > to integrate these into the filesystem. The simple way would be to
> mount it as
> > > a directory and each service would be self contained. However, I can
> also
> > > invision having the files from Dropbox and Google Docs showing up in
> the root
> > > of the filesystem with an indicator of their respective external
> locations.
> > > During the upload or file creation process the user would be presented
> with a
> > > choice of where to store the file. This feels more natural to me than a
> > > directory system and could prevent problems with locating files.
> >
> > Hmm. I would use the OS tool for protocols like FTP, S3 or SMB
> >
> > Stuff like Dropbox. Google Docs/Drive, and other user services should be
> handled on a user level.
> > So every user can mount their Google Docs and move their files around.
> >
> > I don´t really know what you mean regarding the location of the files.
> Let´s say a user is using ownCloud and has already some files and folder
> uploaded. Than the users connect the ownCloud with an existing dropbox or
> Google Drive. Where do all the files show up that are already in dropbox or
> on Google? I think it is confusing if they all appear in the root
> directory. And what happens when a user has the same file or folder in
> ownCloud and dropbox?
> >
> > For me it makes more sense to mount a dropbox account into a folder, for
> example /dropbox.  But perhaps thats only me :-)
> >

> > > My main concern is creating a confusing environment for users with so
> many
> > > options for adding storage and a cluttered filesystem. Any thoughts?
> >
> > Thats a good point. Mounting external filesystems is definitely an
> advanced option that shouldn´t be the first option on the settings page. :-)
> >

> > Cheers
> > Frank
> >

> > Frank Karlitschek
> > karlitschek at kde.org

> Michael - I was under the impression that Unhosted could use any of the

Unhosted is targetting Couch and DAV for the initial roll out.  GDocs,
Amazon, Dropbox support is still experimental, but if anyone would like to
volunteer to write a 'driver' that'd be helpful.  I think we'll get the
major ones in the end.

WRT to storage, the main requirement at the moment is to be able to store
and retrieve documents.  JSON format is a plus.  CORS headers are a plus.
RESTful API is a plus.