[Owncloud] modularization

Frank Karlitschek karlitschek at kde.org
Mon Feb 20 20:05:48 UTC 2012

On 20.02.2012, at 20:14, Thomas Wanderer <newsabos at nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

> Am 12.02.2012 20:56, schrieb Frank Karlitschek:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> it´s importants that we structure ownCloud properly so that the code is still maintainable in a few years and that new developers understand what we do and can contribute.
>>
>> The app concept is very important to make it easy for developers to extend ownCloud without the need to understand every part of ownCloud. My goal is that every ownCloud user can install, update and delete every app independently from the used ownCloud core. Every app developer should be able to release a new app at every point in time and also update it independently from the core. The apps should run on different core versions if possible.
>>
>> It´s of course still a long way till we reach that goal but I think we should start now.
>>

> Hello everyone! This is my first post here after following this project for a while and having (had) similar plans for a web-based central sync service for personal use.
>
> @modularization: I find this quite important! Being a Synology Disk Station user for some time I noticed that they want to break their web-frontenddown into a core and modular applications too...wow...of course this are not the big news but I thought it might be helpful as another source of input to see what other (commercial) projects plan. If OC makes this step I think it's quite important to define what is in core and what is an "app".
>
> Thomas

Hi Thomas,

thanks for your input. Apps are the way we structure ownCloud. If a project is growing it´s important to divide a software in sub modules, otherwise it will get messy over time, especially with PHP ;-) Our modules are called apps. If you look at the sourcecode you see that basically everything in ownCloud is an app which is good because it means that we have a structure. ;-)

Please note that the modularization has nothing to do with what we actually ship. Of course we will ship several apps as default because otherwise ownCloud wouldn´t be that useful. ;-)

This is an interesting point. Before the next release we need to decide which app is ready for inclusion in the release and what app need some more polishing. This is something we have to discuss here on the list a few weeks before the next release.

Cheers
Frank

Frank Karlitschek
karlitschek at kde.org