[Owncloud] Responsive design for web frontend

Frank Karlitschek karlitschek at kde.org
Tue Feb 14 16:27:56 UTC 2012

On 14.02.2012, at 00:21, Thomas Mayer wrote:

> Hello,

Hi Thomas,

> I would like to work on the responsive design for the web frontend,
> especially optimizing for mobile.

Very cool.

> I have patched my installation of Owncloud 3.0 with some lines of CSS
> which does not do much: It just puts the content of the left column
> directly under the header if the width is smaller than 480px, and
> removes the left-padding for the content in the same case.
>
> After looking around on the website, I have found this:
> http://gitorious.org/owncloud/mockups/blobs/master/mobile.jpg and would
> like to ask, if there already is someone working on that.

Thats great. We shoudl support different formfactors. At the moment
Desktop, Mobile, Tablet and Standalone.
Please see this page for more information.
http://owncloud.org/dev/formfactors/

You just have to put the new css files in the same directory with the special name and they are automatically used.

You can also provide special templates, images and js if needed. It´s of course better if special CSS files are enough.

> Some words about myself:
> I have been a software developer professionally for 5 years, doing
> mostly web based applications, in the last 3 years mostly in ASP.NET
> with the occasional PHP project between. I also do lots of optimizing
> for mobile browsers.
>
> Some of my private projects are on Github at
> https://github.com/residuum/ (mostly multimedia stuff), and I have lots
> of stuff planned in the next months, but I could spare some time for
> doing some web frontend development on Owncloud, and I thought, I could
> start with the mobile CSS.

Great!!!

Best Regards
Frank