[Owncloud] bookmark sync

Florian Jacob fjacob at lavabit.com
Sat Feb 4 13:20:10 UTC 2012

> hi!
> my name is javier. im form argentina.
> im interested in developing bookmark sync plugins for browsers.
> i think it'll be a great addition to the soft.

Hi Javier,
welcome to ownCloud. :)

Currently, there's no one working on sync plugins I think, it would be great
if you could take over that area. As far as I know the maintainers of the
bookmark app are Arthur Schiwon and Bartek Przybylski.

> i want to know if the bookmarks app has some kind of API to connect or
> anything that i can use to grab the bookmarks.
> if not i have a couple of ideas. doesnt seems to dificult.

There's no api for doing so currently. I guess the best for you would be to
have a discussion on how such an api should be implemented in ownCloud, maybe
compatible to other bookmark services like firefox sync or social bookmarking
sites.

The rekonq (KDE browser) developers already have done some work in the
direction of ownCloud bookmark sync, this blog post writes about it:
http://adjamblog.wordpress.com/2011/08/02/rekonq-1-feature-a-week-3-and-4/

Maybe that could be interesting for you to see, but I think they don't
integrate with the bookmark app currently and just use ownCloud as storage to
sync rekonq instances.

Cheers,
Florian