[Owncloud] Group backend question

Dirk Kastens dirk.kastens at uni-osnabrueck.de
Wed Feb 1 16:58:32 UTC 2012

Hi,

> You're right, the group system isn't build for multiply backends yet.
>
> Changing it to behave simular to the users system has been a plan for a while
> but I never got to it.

I've nearly finished writing an ldap backend for groups. It depends on
the user_ldap app and adds a search path and some attributes for
posixgroups. I had to change the lib/group.php, lib/group/database.php,
and lib/group/backend.php.

In the admin user menu I see my ldap users and the local group and
posixgroup memberships of each user, and I can share my files with
members of a posixgroup.

The only drawback is the implementation of group file sharing (that's
independent from my ldap groups). If I share a file with a group,
owncloud makes an entry of the form user at group for each group member in
the oc_sharing table of the database. So it doesn't support dynamic
group memberships. If there are new members in a group, they are not
allowed to access the shared files. And if a user has been deleted from
a group he can still access the shared files. Another drawback is, that
if you have a big group with, let's say, 100 members, there are 100
entries made in the database table. And if you want to disallow the
sharing, you have to delete the 100 members individually from the
sharing menu. That's very uncomfortable.

If you share a file with a group, there should be a single entry in the
database, like @group. The members should be evaluated dynamically, IMO.

Dirk