[Owncloud] Theming and Formfactors

Thomas Tanghus thomas at tanghus.net
Wed Feb 1 15:05:50 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 01 February 2012 15:18 Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> Theming:
> I propose a similar system for the theming. We add a "theme" config option
> to the config.php so that the theme can be configured during deployment and
> controlled from the outside without the need to understand our database
> structure. We add "themes" directory into /core where every theme has a
> directory named after the theme name. The template and css loader looks
> into the selected theme directory first for templates and css files and
> loads them if a file is present. If not it just falls back to the default
> files in the individual app directories. This has the benefit that the
> person who creates the themes can override what ever has to be changed but
> donĀ“t have to provide a complete new frontend. The directory structure
> inside the themes folder is the same as the rest of owncloud. This means
> that a theme developer can just put a different
> "apps/contacts/css/styles.css" in the theme directory to change the style
> of the contacts app.

I haven't kept up-to-date on what is possible with CSS nowadays, but couldn't
we come a long way by using CSS variables [1]? Is it possible to include a
stylesheet defining the color scheme into another CSS file?

Now the colors in /core/css/styles.css are hardcoded and I've had to copy some
of them to the app stylesheet. It would be much easier just to change one file
with color/border/etc definitions and use e.g. "var(mainbackgroundcolor)".

[1] http://disruptive-innovations.com/zoo/cssvariables/
--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Thomas Tanghus