[Owncloud] company/community relationship

Frank Karlitschek frank at owncloud.org
Mon Aug 20 16:36:53 UTC 2012

On 20.08.2012, at 18:19, Jos Poortvliet <jos at opensuse.org> wrote:

> [...]
>> community only enables the company to build up a business in parallel so
>> that some of the income can flow back to sponsor development. Same
>> situation that we had with Trolltech in a very successful way for years.
>> The contributor agreement that´s needed here is very fair because it
>> guarantees that every contributor has the same rights than before.
>>
>> Proprietary Extensions:
>> We definitely don´t do the classic and stupid open core model here. There
>> are open source projects out there where the community version is only some
>> kind of demo version that you can´t use productively because core features
>> where not there. I once tried to use an "open source" databases that
>> couldn´t save to disk in the open source version. Stuff like this is a joke
>> and is only misusing the reputation of free software.
>>
>> ownCloud is and will always be full usable. One of the purposes of this
>> document that we want to guarantee that this extensions are first: only
>> optional and second: focused on enterprise use. Just as an example: We have
>> potential customers asking for proprietary modules to integrate ownCloud
>> with their internal backend systems but don´t want to see the code open
>> sourced. This is very important to us and also for me personally.
>> So again I think that the free software community has no drawback if this
>> enterprise extensions exists and it doesn´t take anything away compared
>> with the scenario that the ownCloud company doesn´t exist.
>>
>> So for me it looks like this: The open source community is kindly helping
>> the ownCloud company to build up a business and gets a lot of free software
>> contributions back additionally to sponsoring, marketing and other things.
>> The free software community doesn´t has any drawback by doing this.
>>
>> So this sounds fair to me.
>> What do you think?
>
> I just removed a long reply to this (twice!), but I notice what I wrote is
> still long :(
>
> Bear with me please:
>
> Yes, I think you have pretty much the perfect solution, a great symbiosis
> between company and community. It is fair and great.
>
> With ONE problem: correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I can tell, you have
> the '(trust my) Blue Eyes solution' as guarantee for ownCloud's side of this
> deal. As it's all small, now, and everyone trusts Inc to do the right thing,
> and Inc actually has little choice as it depends on goodwill and community at
> the moment, and there are good people like you in charge, all is well.
>
> But if you're serious about the ambitions for ownCloud taking on dropbox and
> the like, you WILL find that these conditions will change and a Blue Eyes
> solution won't cut it anymore. And this will do great harm to ownCloud - might
> even kill it.
>
> You mention Trolltech - let me mention MySQL and OpenOffice.org. ownCloud
> might need an equivalent of the KDE-Free-Qt foundation...

We have that. The contributor agreement says in the exact same document that the contributions will directly released as AGPL which is the guarantee that it´s not possible to make it proprietary. The same way as the KDE-Free-Qt foundations guarantees the same for Qt.
It´s all baked into the same document. :-)

So if the ownCloud company and would become evil then there is still no way it can make ownCloud proprietary. The worst thing that could happen is that the company would stop contributing and releasing free software. This would be unfortunate of course but still can´t kill ownCloud.
Needless to say that this won´t happen with the current team. The strategy we have is exactly the opposite. We invest heavily in ownCloud and free software and we have a legally binding guarantee that this contribution can't go away :-)

We invested significant time to set this up the right way :-)