[Owncloud] github and contributor agreement

Jos Poortvliet jos at opensuse.org
Mon Aug 20 16:24:28 UTC 2012

On Monday, August 20, 2012 17:52:38 Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> Hi everybody,

<snip>
> worked very hard and discussed this with a lot of people to find the most
> fair and open solution here. What we have now is an agreement that is
> similar to Qt with the Free Qt foundation so a guarantee that ownCloud is
> always available under the AGPL as it is today. We have a FAQ that explains
> the reasons behind it. If someone has question please ask me :-)
>
> The agreement is here:
> http://owncloud.org/documents/contributor-agreement.pdf The FAQ is here:
> http://owncloud.org/documents/contributor-agreement-faq.pdf

Looks like I should've waited with my previous mail until I read this one.

I would suggest to add the example you gave about some customers wanting
proprietary modules for internal integration with their network etc - noting
that we want them to use ownCloud and otherwise they wouldn't be able to. Just
to give the argument some more 'life' and make clear that it's not just about
the money for ownCloud Inc - but also about being able to go places we
otherwise wouldn't be able to service...

/hugs
Jos