[Owncloud] encryption throught webdav with ecryptfs

Bjoern Schiessle schiessle at owncloud.com
Mon Aug 20 09:22:47 UTC 2012

Hi Jörn,

On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 13:55:05 +0200 Jörn Friedrich Dreyer wrote:
> I was reading up on using ecryptfs to encrypt some of my files in my
> ~./owncloud foulder mounted with webdav. It turns out there is a bug
> lurking around that might make it impossible for now:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ecryptfs/+bug/277578
>
> I also came across a nice article on how ecryptfs works:
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9400
>
> It describes some of the design goals like sharing encrypted files so
> I thought I'd point out on the list that there has already been done
> a lot of work in that direction. Unfortunately, I did not find a php
> implementation for ecryptfs, but I think owncloud and ecryptfs are
> trying to achieve the same goal here.
>
> What is the status for public private key based encrypted sharing
> anyway?

Sam and I are working on public/private key based encryption which will
also allow sharing of encrypted files. We are using openSSL for it
since it is available on every server and web hosting platform. We are
planing to introduce this feature in ownCloud 5.

cheers,
Björn

--
Björn Schießle <schiessle at owncloud.com>