[Owncloud] company/community relationship

Torsten Grote grote at kolabsys.com
Mon Aug 20 09:11:49 UTC 2012

Hi Frank,

isn't this point

On Friday 17 August 2012 00:02:53 Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> - ownCloud, Inc. is a software company built around the ownCloud Open
> Source project and is fully committed to Open Source principles.

in conflict with these points?

> - All members of the ownCloud community understand that ownCloud Inc. can
> sell proprietary licenses for ownCloud to its customers. As in many Open
> Source companies, parts of the proceeds flow back into the ownCloud
> community, e.g. through sponsorships or employing ownCloud community
> developers.

> - ownCloud, Inc. may choose to develop proprietary enterprise extensions to
> ownCloud. Those extensions are optional, and will not be required to run
> standard ownCloud.

How can ownCloud, Inc. be _fully_ committed to Free Software principles while
developing proprietary extensions? Does this mean that ownCloud is going the
neo-proprietary/open-core route now?

I also don't see how you can sell proprietary licenses for code contributed by
the community without copyright assignment.

Regards,
Torsten

--
Torsten Grote, Kolab Evangelist