[Owncloud] encryption throught webdav with ecryptfs

Jörn Friedrich Dreyer jfd at owncloud.com
Sun Aug 19 11:55:05 UTC 2012

I was reading up on using ecryptfs to encrypt some of my files in my
~./owncloud foulder mounted with webdav. It turns out there is a bug lurking
around that might make it impossible for now:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ecryptfs/+bug/277578

I also came across a nice article on how ecryptfs works:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9400

It describes some of the design goals like sharing encrypted files so I thought
I'd point out on the list that there has already been done a lot of work in
that direction. Unfortunately, I did not find a php implementation for
ecryptfs, but I think owncloud and ecryptfs are trying to achieve the same
goal here.

What is the status for public private key based encrypted sharing anyway?

My idea was to add a webdav url that revealed the files encrypted, so the
client could take care of de/encrypting the files. I first thought of TrueCrypt,
but it only works on partitions / containers. Ecryptfs, however, only is a
solution for linux based systems. That is why I was looking for an
implementation in php so users could just add

--
Jörn Friedrich Dreyer (jfd at owncloud.com)
Software Developer

Your Data, Your Cloud, Your Way!