[Owncloud] Background Jobs

Jakob Sack mail at jakobsack.de
Sun Aug 12 10:28:49 UTC 2012

Hi Jörn,

it is not an app but a feature in ownCloud core. Have a look at
lib/backgroundjob/* and lib/public/backgroundjobs.php!
Background jobs has yet another feature I did not mention: queued
tasks. You can add a new task by using OCP\BackgroundJobs::addQueuedJob(
$app, $class, $method, $parameters ). $app is the app name, $class and
$method are used to call the function, $parameters is some text you
might pass to your task.
The main problem with this solution is that you don't know when it will
be executed. It's not necessarily happening immediately as you might
know it from delayed jobs in rails where a daemon runs in background all
the time. In the worst case (using AJAX, all users offline) it could be
executed weeks later :-/
Regards,

Jakob