[Owncloud] Client time delta

Juan Carlos Cornejo mylists at paintblack.com
Fri Aug 10 21:09:58 UTC 2012

Hi,

I found that the ownCloud Desktop client (built from git) refuses to
sync a directory which has more than 2000 files. The reason I found
for this is because the time_diff_delta is always greater than 5
seconds (actually, always coming in at 7 seconds).

Not knowing exactly what this time_diff_delta is supposed to measure (
differences between server time and local time, or total time required
by the server to respond), I ask here in order to figure out a
solution.

Basically, if the goal is just to find out the time difference between
the server and local time, then this will always fail in cases when it
takes the server a while to process the request (such as having too
many files). A sort of fix is to measure the delta by comparing the
server time to a time right before sending the request (a difference I
found to always be negligible) as opposed to after the request
returns. Unfortunately, I think this might produce misleading results
in the case where the delay was not caused by a busy server, but by
latency in the network.  Perhaps a combination of the two might be
required.

But I'm thinking, would it instead be possible to have the server (and
by that I mean SabreDAV) respond with the total time it took the
server to process the request? Then, in principle, this could take
care of both server delay and network latency issues.

Any thoughts?

Best,
Juan Carlos