[Owncloud] new ownCloud web installer

Pimmetje owncloud-mailing at p1m.nl
Tue Aug 7 13:02:03 UTC 2012

On 8/7/2012 1:22 PM, Frank Karlitschek wrote:
>> This is a very nice idea Frank, coz it lowers the needed user experience.
>> >Nice work:-)
>> >
>> >BUT. OC is a very sensible piece of software because u store a lot of sensible data in it.
>> >
>> >I think the zip file should be some kind of hash checked.
>> >Where to get a secure hash?
>> >If u just compare it to a hash that stands near to the zip on the webpage, it would be useless.
>> >So what about kind of https page with a signed/trusted cert, where the installer could fetch the md5 of the actual release?With this signed page the installer could check that it did not download a malicious/harmfull piece of software.
> Good point. I will add this.
>
> Frank
I think the installer should have the hash of the latest release (not the development version). This would require making a new installer for
every release but i think that would be doable. If the hash doesn't match the user should be informed showing the problem and information
about the files. I am not sure if it would be wise to add a option to continue anyway. Most users who need the script would click continue
anyway regardless of whats written in the warning message. I think for the development release there is no real need for a precooked script as
most of the development users would know how to change it.

I want to test the script on my hosting but i had to change settings to use PHP5.3 that will take some time to apply. Ill send my feedback about
it when i tested it on my hosting.

Settings appears to been applied now; At step 3 i received the following error message:
Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by path/to/file/*web-installer_setup-owncloud.php*  on line*222
*At the looks of it ownload was downloaded and installed. The webinstaller was deleted. So no problem there. Browsing to
/owncloud/ allowed me to compete the setup. A quick look into OC suggested that everything is working there.

Maybe it would be nice to select the folder of installation. Current directory or subdirectory. And the possibly to give it a custom name (for subdirectory).

Nice work.

Pimmetje