[Owncloud] new ownCloud web installer

Tim Hinkes timmeey at timmeey.de
Tue Aug 7 11:02:10 UTC 2012

On 08/07/2012 11:48 AM, Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I finished a small script that I wanted to do for a long long time.
> It´s an alternative way to install ownCloud on a webspace.
>
> It´s a single php file that you have to upload to your webspace. It checks the dependencies, download the newest ownCloud from the official server, unpacks it with the right permissions and the right user account, redirects to the ownCloud installer and deletes itself afterwards.
>
> The benefit is that this should be easier for unexperienced users because you don´t have to manually unpack the owncloud tar and upload to the server. You also don´t have to fix the folder permissions manually because the script can do this automatically. Another benefit is that the files belong to the webserver user so that ownCloud can update itself later automatically as soon as we have this functionality implemented. ;-)
>
> The file is located here:
> https://gitorious.org/owncloud/administration/trees/master/web-installer
>
> Testing and feedback needed :-)
>

> Frank

This is a very nice idea Frank, coz it lowers the needed user experience.
Nice work :-)

BUT. OC is a very sensible piece of software because u store a lot of
sensible data in it.

I think the zip file should be some kind of hash checked.
Where to get a secure hash?
If u just compare it to a hash that stands near to the zip on the
webpage, it would be useless.
So what about kind of https page with a signed/trusted cert, where the
installer could fetch the md5 of the actual release?With this signed
page the installer could check that it did not download a
malicious/harmfull piece of software.

TimmeeY