[Owncloud] [mysql] drop MyISAM support, get better database

Klaas Freitag freitag at owncloud.com
Tue Aug 7 08:24:22 UTC 2012

On 06.08.2012 19:54, Daniel Danger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I suggest, that we drop support for MyISAM and switch to InnoDB. There
> are a few reasons for that:
> - we get support for foreign keys
In which way do you want to make use of the support? Are you going to
change the database definitions and all database accessing code and
propagate changes to the detail tables for example? Sounds challenging,
I haven't seen that people doing with mysql yet, but well, never fear
new steps ;-)

How does that work with our multiple database approach? I think we have
to support at least MySQL, Sqlite, Postgres and Oracle. Does the MDB2
layer support all these features? Does that complicate the code?

> I do have the code for that ready for any dev who wants to give it a
> try. I have not tested that code enough to push it to master, yet.
Honestly, I do not think this is something we just want to push to
master and go with it from than. I think we should use time to get more
experienced with it, as these kind of changes show the impact often on
the longer run.
Can't we have that as an additional database and keep the old MySQL
implementation as well for the next couple of versions?

> Ps.: InnoDB is the default engine in recent MySQL versions. It is also
> supported in all older versions of mysql that I know of.
Well, you will find lots of systems with old MySQL which either do not
have InnoDB or InnoDB in version that you do not want to use ;-)

regards,
Klaas